There are many reasons to prefer to create an anonymous account and, whatever your reason, at TripAdvisor we want to make it easy.
- It is best to use your personal email address – not connect via Facebook or Google. Your email address is never shared with our travel community; however, if you connect via Facebook or Google you are giving permission for anyone connected to you on that platform to see certain updates.
- If you prefer to ensure your account is absolutely anonymous, use an email address only associated with your TripAdvisor account. Be sure to regularly check this email address in case we need to verify information about your account or the content associated with it.
- Do not use your real name but instead select an anonymous username and an anonymous social handle. More information about username/social handle selection can be found here.
- When selecting your profile picture, allow TripAdvisor to select a stock photo for you or upload a photo that will not give away your identity. The photo must abide by our photo guidelines.
- Do not discuss your occupation, location or general timelines about upcoming travel plans in public facing content.
- If you would prefer not to see messages from others in the travel community, including from property owners, you can turn off your private message feature. Instructions can be found here.
- If you decide to keep your messages on but are being harassed, please report the sender to TripAdvisor. We take these reports seriously and will ban any members of our community who participate in harassment behaviour on our platform. Property owners or employees who harass members of our community will be penalised.
- If you do not want specific profiles to be able to follow you or re-post your content, you can block that profile. For more information on how to block a member of our community follow this link.