Visitors to TripAdvisor have the expectation that the site will provide them with unbiased reviews and content for accommodations, attractions, restaurants and other venues. Travellers who wish to share their personal experiences with the TripAdvisor community provide this content.
TripAdvisor is committed to ensuring the integrity of the content it collects and provides to its global community of travellers and businesses.
Any attempts to mislead, influence or impersonate a traveller is considered fraudulent, and is subject to penalties. This may include but is not limited to:
- Attempts by an owner or agent of a property to boost the reputation of a business by:
- Writing a review for their own business, or for any property the reviewing party owns, manages, or has a financial interest in.
- Utilising any paid review company, marketing organisation, or third party to submit reviews.
- Impersonating a competitor or a guest.
- Offering incentives in exchange for reviews, including discounts, upgrades or any special treatment.
- Asking friends or relatives to write positive reviews.
- Submitting reviews on behalf of guests.
- Copying comment cards and submitting them as traveller reviews.
- Selectively soliciting reviews (by e-mail, surveys or any other means) only from guests who have had a positive experience.
- Pressuring travellers to remove a negative review on TripAdvisor.
- Asking guests to remove their reviews in return for a discount or incentive.
- Prohibiting or discouraging guests from posting negative or critical reviews of their experience.
- Attempts to damage competitors by submitting a negative review
- Owners and agents of owners should NOT write reviews of direct competitors, even if they are relaying a genuine experience.