The GreenLeaders Program recognizes hotels and B&Bs that engage in environmentally friendly practices, making it easier for travelers to find and book a greener stay. Qualifying properties are marked with a badge on their TripAdvisor page. To see a list of the business's environmentally friendly practices, click on their GreenLeader badge.
We have developed this program with help from national and international green industry experts including the US Green Building Council's LEED Certification Program, the United Nations Environment Program, the US Environmental Protection Agency's ENERGY STAR program, and other sustainability experts.
The program is completely voluntary and available to properties with green practices interested in promoting their activities through TripAdvisor. Properties do not pay to participate in the program.
What are the levels of the GreenLeaders Program?
There are five tiers of the GreenLeaders program. All participating hotels and B&Bs must meet a minimum set of requirements to be included in the program and attain the level of GreenPartner:
- Having linen and towel re-use plans
- Tracking energy usage on a regular basis
- Using energy efficient light-bulbs
- Educating staff and guests on green practices
- Properly treat waste water (either using an on-site or municipal sewage system)
Properties that qualify at the GreenPartner level will have their status shown in their amenities page.
To qualify as a GreenLeader, businesses must also achieve a minimum score on the application survey. GreenLeader properties are eligible for one of the four badge levels: bronze, silver, gold and platinum. Badge levels are determined by a property's overall level of participation in environmentally friendly activities.
- GreenPartner: meets minimum requirements
- GreenLeader Bronze: meets minimum requirements and achieves a 30% score on the Green Practices survey
- GreenLeader Silver: meets minimum requirements + 40% survey score
- GreenLeader Gold: meets minimum requirements + 50% score
- GreenLeader Platinum: meets minimum requirements + 60% score or higher
Properties that qualify at any of the GreenLeader levels will have their badge displayed on their property listing page and when searching in their city (e.g. New York City hotels)
If you are a hotel or B&B and want more information about how to participate, see our application instructions.