Restaurants on TripAdvisor must meet all of the following criteria:
- Must serve prepared food
- Must serve the public; cannot require membership
- Must be open on a regularly scheduled basis
- Must be open for at least 12 consecutive weeks of the year
- Must maintain a permanent location in one city/town but can deliver to multiple cities/towns.
- Food trucks may be listed as long as their schedule and locations are posted online. Requests must include a valid website for confirmation.
The following DO qualify as a restaurant on TripAdvisor:
- Sit down
- Take out
- Delivery-only restaurants
- Fast food
- Cafes and coffee shops
- Bars and pubs that serve prepared food (burgers, fries, etc.)
- Chain restaurants
- Sandwich shops
- Ice cream shops
- Dessert/pastry shops
- Food trucks as long as their schedule and locations are posted online
- Restaurants that require reservations
- Restaurants inside other businesses (e.g. a restaurant inside a retail store or a restaurant inside a hotel)
- Supermarkets that have a prepared food section and tables where you can dine
The following do NOT qualify as a restaurant on TripAdvisor:
- Delivery services - Delivery services are businesses that do not prepare their own food. These services pick up food prepared by restaurants and deliver it to customers.
- Services that deliver ingredients or groceries
- Personal chefs who travel to and cook at various locations
- Banquet/wedding venues
- Cooking classes (request as Things to Do)
- Chocolate or candy stores that only sell boxed/packaged items (request as Things to Do)
- Pop-up or short-term restaurants
- Private clubs that require membership
- Bars/pubs that only serve light bar snacks (pretzels, crackers, nuts, etc.)
- Businesses providing pre-packaged meals that are ordered and paid for in advance
- Beverage establishments that serve only alcoholic drinks
- Places that only sell unprepared food
- When you eat a meal while watching a performance (request as Things to Do)
- When you eat a meal while riding a train or a boat (request as Things to Do)
Each restaurant listing is assigned an establishment type. In some cases, two or more establishment types may be assigned to the same listing.
See Restaurant establishment types for descriptions of each type.