We list Things to Do that are permanent places of interest to tourists.
- The business must have an official name, address, and published telephone number.
- The business must be open/available to customers on a regularly scheduled basis.
- Pre-determined hours or departure times must be published on an official website or in a printed brochure.
We do list the following:
- Cities or towns
- Businesses open for less than 6 months of the year (approximately)
- Businesses that operate solely on the web (e.g. booking platforms, online retailers, etc.)
- Chain stores (except the flagship location)
- Adult-themed businesses (all listings must be family-friendly)
- TripAdvisor lists some editorially-selected events. We are not currently accepting requests from our users to list additional events, festivals or other short-term things to do.
Tour companies may qualify for a listing if:
- The company offers day tours (not overnight or multi-day tours).
- The company is licensed/recognized by local city or tourism officials.
- The company has a website.
- Scheduled departure times, place of departure, and/or planned destinations are provided on an official website or in a printed brochure.
- We do list car/auto rentals; rentals of electronic equipment that may include (but are not limited to) cell phones, tablets, and GPS units; or rentals of personal items, such as baby strollers, beach umbrellas, and cameras.
- We do list gear rental listings for sport-related activities such as bicycles, surf boards, and scooters.
A listing that meets our Things to Do guidelines may display in multiple categories:
Amusement Parks include permanent amusement parks, water parks, and theme parks.
Boat Tours & Water Sports includes tours and experiences that involve boating, paddling, surfing, diving, and other water-related activities.
Casinos & Gaming includes casinos, dog tracks, and horse tracks.
Food & Drink includes wineries, breweries, pub crawls, food tours, cooking classes, and farmers markets. (If the property serves food, request it as a restaurant instead.)
Fun & Games covers a range of activities, including (but not limited to) go-karts, bowling alleys, movie theaters, mini-golf, indoor rock climbing, live-escape games, and shooting ranges.
Museums include art, history, science, local interest, specialty, and archival museums.
Nature & Parks includes mountains, beaches, caves, parks, and geologic formations.
Nightlife includes bars and clubs. Bars include all types of bars where people go for drinks (if the property serves food, request it as a restaurant instead). Clubs include dance clubs and comedy clubs.
Outdoor Activities covers a range of outdoor experiences and venues, including (but not limited to) treks, bike tours, horseback riding, scuba diving, hot air balloon rides, ski areas, parks, golf courses, and beaches.
Shopping & Fashion should have specific interest to travelers and includes malls, specialty stores, antique stores, and flea or street markets. Only flagship locations of chain stores can be listed.
Sights & Landmarks covers a range of notable points of interest, including (but not limited to) monuments, statues, boardwalks, architecturally significant buildings, religious sites, ancient ruins, and historical sites.
Sightseeing Tours covers guided tours along a planned route. This includes (but is not limited to) walking tours, bus tours, bike and Segway tours, whale watching tours, harbor boat tours, and cultural tours.
Spas & Wellness includes traditional spa facilities (with massages or facials), gyms/health clubs with day passes, and yoga or Pilates studios with drop-in classes.
Theater & Concerts includes long-running plays and performances, theater companies, ballets, symphonies and operas, along with the theaters or venues where performances are held.
Transportation includes ferries, trams, limos, public transportation systems, private shuttles and other non-guided options. We do not list car rentals.
Traveler Resources include visitor centers, libraries, health clubs and other facilities that provide information and services to travelers.
Zoos & Aquariums include places where people can go to see or to interact with animals.
Other is for when you are unsure of which category to select.