Visitors to TripAdvisor have the expectation that the site will provide them with unbiased reviews and content for accommodations, airlines, attractions, restaurants and other venues. Travelers who wish to share their personal experiences with the TripAdvisor community provide this content.
TripAdvisor is committed to ensuring the integrity of the content it collects and provides to its global community of travelers and businesses.
Any attempts to mislead, influence or impersonate a traveler is considered fraudulent, and is subject to penalties. This may include but is not limited to:
- Attempts by an owner or agent of a property to boost the reputation of a business by:
- Writing a review for their own business, or for any property the reviewing party owns, manages, or has a financial interest in.
- Utilizing any optimization company, marketing organization, or third party to submit reviews.
- Impersonating a competitor or a guest.
- Offering incentives in exchange for reviews of their business, including discounts, upgrades or any special treatment.
- Asking friends or relatives to write positive reviews.
- Submitting reviews on behalf of guests.
- Copying comment cards and submitting them as traveler reviews.
- Selectively soliciting reviews (by email, surveys or any other means) only from guests who have had a positive experience.
- Pressuring travelers to remove a negative review on TripAdvisor.
- Asking guests to remove their reviews in return for a discount or incentive.
- Prohibiting or discouraging guests from posting negative or critical reviews of their experience.
- Attempts to damage competitors by submitting reviews or any other type of content
- Owners and agents of owners should NOT write reviews of direct competitors, even if they are relaying a genuine experience.